a ton of questions

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Sat Dec 30 15:16:07 EST 2000

Well I will break the questions up some here:

1.  Is winmodem technology supported in any way?
	Actually, the answer is yes.As a starting point check out:
	www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Linmodem-HOWTO.html

2.  The iostream.h header file nad it substitute.
	Sorry can't help you on that one.

3.  Where can you get a dos emulator?
	Most distributions include dosemu. This is not really an emulator
	though. In reality it will either use a DOS partition, or file
	setup to act like a dos partition. It then actually boots DOS
	in a virtual machine. Check out the howto pages for more info.

4.  How do you install the support for the 2 hpt366 controllers?
	Can't help. But waht are they anyway? That might help with an
	answer.

5.  Is it possible/how is it possible to make lilo speak?
	If you have an external synth, it is possible to redirect lilo's
	output to the appropriate com port. Otherwise you are out of
	luck. Can't say how that is done though.

6.  Are there any screen savers that will turn your monitor off while at
the prompt and the login screen?
	Actually, the behavior will be the same here. By default with no
	interferance your screen will go blank after some amount of
	inactivity. Outside of knowing that this can be changed, I don't
	know how to control the time. Pressing any key will bring it back.
	I have never had it actually turn off my monitor. I don't know if
	that can be done or how. I just have not made it a priority.

7. (bonus question) How can you play midi files?
	A search of Freshmeat.net turned up this promising program: midi.
	It will play midi files on OSS supported sound cards. Since the
	ALSA project includes OSS you should be set.

As a general note, the two sites I find invaluable are freshmeat.net and
linuxdoc.org. The first has every imaginable software available. If you
can't find it there, it probably is not far from the drawing table. The
second site has all the answers.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Cluelessness
	There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of
	inquisitive idiots