a ton of questions

Jacob Schmude jacobs at ncinter.net
Sat Dec 30 14:45:21 EST 2000

HI
     I'll answer as many as I can, below your quoted questions.

> Does linux support winmodem technology at all? Somehow I've got the sinking
> feeling that the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
     Actually, some winmodems are supported, to varying degrees. I know
some lucent winmodems are supported. However, they are binary only
drivers, and do not work well on later kernels. Meaning they do not work
well on most up-to-date linux distributions.
> In my c++ programming under windows, I've used 'iostream.h' to handle input
> and output streams. However, I've noticed to my surprise that this header
> doesn't exist in the gcc 2.7.2.3 include directory. What do I use instead?
     Yes, iostream.h does exist. You need to have the c++ stuff installed
too. However, if your distro still uses gcc 2.7.2.3 as its primary
compiler, then it's time for an update. Some programs need the
functionality of the egcs 1.1.2 compiler or gcc 2.95.2. In any case, the
line #include <iostream.h> does work fine assuming everything's installed.
I read later that you will use slackware 7.1, gcc is not it's primary
compiler. It has the egcs compilers in the development series, and these
should be installed. The gcc 2.7.2 provided with slackware is C only. With
egcs installed, the iostream.h files and any other c++ related headers are
in /usr/include/g++-2.
> I know I'll probably be smerked by some of you for asking this one, but
> where can I download a free DOS emulator for linux?
http://www.dosemu.org. I've used this and it actually seems to work rather
well, I've successfully run wordperfect for dos 6.0 in it. Be aware,
though, that speakup takes your synth over, so your dos screen reader will
not work. I've heard reports that without speakup, external synthesizers
work with dos screen readers, but I've got an internal synth so I cannot
verify this. It's a little slow, but it works depending on what you need
to do with it.
> I've also heard that it is possible for speakup to speak in lilo at the boot
> prompt. How do I set that up with slackware 7.1?
Speakup does not do this. Lilo has the ability to output to a serial port,
but that only works with external synths.