braille n speak success

Geoff Shang gshang10 at scu.edu.au
Tue Dec 26 05:19:41 EST 2000

Hi:

OK, 3 issues here.  To have interrupt working properly, you first need that
no_interrupt = 0 line.  I do not know what the default value is, so I'd put
it in.  This means that no_interrupt is not enabled, or in English, that
interrupt IS enabled.  You will also need to make sure that you have the
correct settings on your BNS.  These are hardware handshaking, 8 bits, no
parity and 1 stop bit.  The baud rate must already be fine otherwise you
wouldn't get intelligable speech.  Don't ask me personally how to check or
set these, I don't have a BNS.

Secondly, the punctuation.  I presume that /etc/speakup.conf is loaded in
at boot time, so anything you change in there won't take effect until you
restart linux.  I don't know for sure though as zipspeak has the
speakupconfig script which I've not actually ever used.

Thirdly, keyboard echo.  Sad to say, but this is not yet settable as yet,
though when you get interrupt working, it will at least be managable.
Seems that disabling keyboard is a little more tricky than enabling it was.
I believe Jim is working on it.  As a fellow person who prefers it off, I
look forward to this option.  Having said this though, I have gotten used
to it.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <gshang10 at scu.edu.au>