small successes

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Thu Dec 21 14:52:16 EST 2000

I have a habit of hollering for help first and then doing my
problem-solving, reading, and testing. A week ago I tried my damnedest  to
move on up to 2.2.18 with the cvs version of speakup, but failed to make
my alsa drivers work with my sblive card no matter what I tried. Frankie
and others said to just erase my source trees and begin again from
scratch, which seemed to me (being sophisticated and all that) to be
nothing but superstitious magical thinking. But you know what? I did it,
and it worked. No tweaking necessary. Configure and compile and install
the kernel, reboot into 2.2.18 with speech but without sound, then
configure, compile and install the alsa package, reboot again and up came
2.2.18 with speech and with sound working.

My apoligies, Frankie and all! Why couldn't it do that the first time?

Chuck

My web site is http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
	"It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing Milk Bone underwear."