fun with pronunciation.

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Tue Dec 5 12:08:49 EST 2000

Hi Folks:  We have been working on the extended ascii character set
for speakup over the past couple of days and I thought I should get
some input from the speakup community.  Mostly the European community
will be able to help best.

In the extended ascii set there are a lot of accented characters which
it would be nice to get the pronunciation as close as an American
synth can get.  These accents include circumflex, umlaut, cidilla and
acute.  My German tells me umlaut should be pronounced as oomlout.  I
believe the French pronunciation for acute is aggeu, well, that's as
close as I can get this DoubleTalk to say it.  I'm thinking cidilla
should be something like sedeya and circumflex I'm lost on.  If you
have any suggestions on their pronunciation I'd like to hear them.
You can either send them to the list with phonetic spellings as I have
or you could get on the reflector and tell me in person.  In any case
your help would be appreciated.

We are also trying to come up with a clear but short, relatively
anyway, description of the graphic characters.  Some like "double top
centred" mean a double horizontal line with a single centred joint
pointing down.  Zippy, are we having fun yet?

  Kirk