Stupid kernel question

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Tue Aug 29 15:20:23 EDT 2000

Actually, if you use the cp command it works just fine. That is what I
have been using. I don't think the howto specifies how to copy the file,
just to do so. So I have always used the cp command. And for the record,
you can name the new kernel any valid filename as far as I can tell. I
know I have gone to using names that mean something to me. I typically use
a date (8-11) for a general purpose kernel. If it is for a specific reason
I name it such again with a date.

Redhat uses a softlink to make vmlinuz point to a kernel that is like
vmlinuz-2.2.14 (or whatever version of kernel is there). I find making a
softlink to just add more steps. I name it at will and add the entry to
lilo.conf. Then run lilo. This keeps the backup in place and ready for a
screw up. I have made kernels that didn't work. But by adding the entry to
lilo.conf and leaving what was already there exactly where it started has
always left me able to recover from my errors.

Certainly there may be some textbook reason for certain conventions. But
they are at the heart conventions and not rules. Until someone gives me
some reason to name my kernel vmlinuz I can only guess it is so anyone
will know its name. But hey, lilo.conf will clear that mystery up so I
continue in my ways.

--
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net