Stupid kernel question

Buddy Brannan davros at ycardz.com
Tue Aug 29 15:41:21 EDT 2000

Hi,

OK, so I'm reading through the new Slackware book that's online as part of
my campaign to study for LPI certification, and in the kernel section on
building a kernel, it says to do (from the /usr/src/linux directory, after
making a backup of the old kernel, system.map, and so on)
cat arch/i386/boot/zImage > /vmlinuz
(or bzImage, as the case my be)

I never actually noticed the sequence of commands here, since my last step
was always make install, which generally did the correct bit of magic to
get the new kernel working. So...is there any particular reason you copy
the kernel this way, rather than using cp instead? I'd really love to know
if anyone can tell me. ...

Thanks.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV