talking lilo prompt?

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Tue Aug 15 06:30:44 EDT 2000

Hi gang -

On the matter of the lilo prompt, I have tailored my lilo configuration to
give me a beep when it is ready for my intervention, then wait two seconds
before going into its default choice. I am using a Doubletalk internal
card, and this method works great for me. For those who are interested, I
include a copy of my configuration below. Hopefully you can separate the
weed from the chaff. The file called "boot.msg" is a one-liner which
contains the ascii bell character (ascii 7 or ^G) along with the following
text:

Default or l for Linux, r for Rescue, d for DOS

Now, here is the lilo configuration file:

# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
boot = /dev/hda
compact        # faster, but won't work on all systems.
prompt
timeout = 20
message = /boot/boot.msg
vga = normal    # force sane state
 ramdisk = 0     # paranoia setting
# End LILO global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /vmlinuz
  root = /dev/hda3
  label = l
  read-only # Non-UMSDOS filesystems should be mounted read-only for checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /vmlinuz
  root = /dev/hda2
  label = r
  read-only # Non-UMSDOS filesystems should be mounted read-only for checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends
# DOS bootable partition config begins
other = /dev/hda1
  label = d
  table = /dev/hda
# DOS bootable partition config ends

Hope this helps someone...
Chuck.

My web site is http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
Keep grandma off the streets -- legalize bingo.