CD-R issues. ...

Buddy Brannan davros at ycardz.com
Sun Apr 16 16:31:15 EDT 2000

Now I'm having a different problem than the other one, this one on my
regular computer (I.E. not the one I'm installing Debian on). My CD-R
isn't recording CD's. Gives some error after a long (though variable) time
about no disk/wrong disk, with a bunch of other stuff that I don't have
readily available. So I've been scratching my head over this, and in
trying to diagnose the problem, I tried just mounting a CD with stuff on
it, and mount just sorta sat there and didn't spit out an error or
anything. Couldn't even kill it. Very odd, indeed.

OK, so next, I thought, I wonder if there's anything wrong in startup? So
here's what dmesg tells me, at least the relevant part:

(scsi0) <Adaptec AIC-7850 SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 9/0
(scsi0) Narrow Channel, SCSI ID=7, 3/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Warning - detected auto-termination
(scsi0) Please verify driver detected settings are correct.
(scsi0) If not, then please properly set the device termination
(scsi0) in the Adaptec SCSI BIOS by hitting CTRL-A when prompted
(scsi0) during machine bootup.
(scsi0) Cables present (Int-50 NO, Ext-50 YES)
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 406 instructions downloaded
scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.21/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AIC-7850 SCSI host adapter>
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: JVC       Model: XR-W2010          Rev: 1.51
  Type:   WORM                               ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0

BTW, yes, I have burned a CD on this drive before, but I can't recall if
it was before or after upgrading to 2.2.14. (BTW, I recall Bill mentioned
problems with his--an identical unit. So not sure if it's a hardware
problem or a software or OS one.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV        | And if the ground yawned,
Email: davros at ycardz.com     | I'd step to the side and say,