Fw: A good English grammar lesson!!!! (fwd)

Kirk Reiser kirk at reisers.ca
Sat Jan 16 16:41:20 EST 2010

On his 78th birthday a man got a gift certificate from his wife.

The certificate paid for a visit to a medicine man living on a nearby
reservation, who was rumoured to have a wonderful cure for erectile
dysfunction.

After being persuaded, the man drove to the reservation, handed his
gift certificate to the medicine man and wondered what he was in for.

The medicine man slowly, methodically produced a potion, handed it to
him, and with a grip on his shoulder, warned: "This is powerful
medicine and it must be respected. You take only a teaspoonful and
then say, '1-2-3'. When you do that, you will become more manly than
you have ever been in your life and be able to perform as long as you
want!"

The elderly man was encouraged. As he walked away, he turned and
asked, "How do I stop the medicine from working?" "Your partner must
say, '1-2-3-4'," the medicine man responded, "but when she does, the
medicine will not work again until the next full moon."

He was very eager to see if it worked. When he got home, he shaved,
showered, took a spoonful of the medicine, and then invited his wife
to join him in the bedroom. When she came in, he took off his clothes
and said, "1-2-3!" Immediately, he was the manliest of men!

His wife was excited and began throwing off her clothes and then she
asked, "What was the 1-2-3 for?"

And that, boys and girls, is why we should never end our sentences
with a preposition because, if we do, we could end up with a dangling
participle.