espeakup alsa errors

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at shawnk.ca
Wed Jun 29 19:36:41 EDT 2016

The best way around this is not to use hw: values if at all possible. Just
call the card by name. To find out what the names are just run: cat
/proc/asound/cards and you'll see the card names in brackets. Just use the
name as seen in the brackets without the space padding and things should
work as expected
even if the card indexes happen to move around on reboot.
The same goes for setting the default system sound card or the default card
for a specific user.
To set the system default you'd edit /etc/asound.conf and add something
like:
pcm.!default {
     type hw
card Audigy
}
On my system this sets the default sound card to the sound blaster audigy.
Or to set the default card for a specific user you'd put that code in
.asoundrc in the user's home directory.
Depending on what program you're using the syntax for specifying a device by
name can get a bit tricky (upper and lower case letters matter) but it
should be possible.
This all assumes the only problem you're having is with the card indexes
moving around. A bigger problem can be pulse audio trying to take exclusive
control of a card. In that case the only thing to do is disable pulse audio
or figure out how to get whatever you're using to work with it. It's been my
experience that things just work if pulse audio is completely disabled but
this may effect some things if you're using the gui.
My system has 7 sound cards so I've had to learn the hard way how to make
alsa maintain order.