first attempt at a speakup-compatible yasr.conf

pj at pjb.com.au pj at pjb.com.au
Thu Apr 25 06:24:49 EDT 2013

Greetings,

I've just today got ~/.Xdefaults and ~/.yasr.conf twisted into
some kind of agreement, or cease-fire at least:
  http://www.pjb.com.au/blin/free/
  http://www.pjb.com.au/blin/free/Xdefaults
  http://www.pjb.com.au/blin/free/yasr.conf.txt

.Xdefaults has to be in place before you start xterm,
and .yasr.conf has to be in place before you start yasr.

There's a lot that I can't get working, like when you press
Keypad 7 is says the previous line, but it doesn't move the
focus because that functionality is in a separate review mode.

Keypad 0 and CapsLock are mapped into yasr's Toggle-Review-Mode,
which is not a perfect match,
but will allow Left-Edge and Right-Edge which I haven't done yet
because that will prevent moving the focus around the screen.
Cut and paste are not going to be possible.
It only works in xterms, but similar .Xdefaults files
might be able to handle the xterm-equivalents.

There a lot about yasr that I don't understand.
Like in the standard yasr conf file:
  0x1b6c:say line
where 0x1b6c must somehow mean Alt-l ; I don't get that.
I can see how it might mean Escape l, but it means Alt-l
Also I can't get yasr to use espeak properly, which it has to do
through emacspeak.  The current yasr version is from February 2008.

Anyway, this might let you use some of your Speakup reflexes
in an xterm environment...
Anyone done this kind of thing before ?
Insights gratefully received...

Regards,  Peter Billam

http://www.pjb.com.au      pj at pjb.com.au     (03) 6278 9410
"Follow the charge, not the particle."  --  Richard Feynman
 from The Theory of Positrons, Physical Review, 1949