Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Apr 10 04:20:19 EDT 2013

I agree.  John on this list has his own story of how he got hired by the
math department of the University of Wisconsin.  However, it makes a lot
better case if the blind person can read and write.  Let's take an average
sighted person.  I suppose there are exceptions nowadays, but I can't
imagine an employer hiring that average sighted person if they don't have
literacy.  For one thing, how would they fill out the job application?  The
blind person's solution would either be a sighted reader or a scanner, but I
would guess that most employers would find it rather strange if a sighted
person brought their reader with them and explained that they can't read
print.  I do agree with you completely that the blind person needs to try
harder and has more to overcome, but I still think that literacy has a lot
to do with it, regardless of being blind.  Nowadays, most jobs require at
least a college degree and I don't see how a sighted person would get one if
they can't read.  Granted, reading Braille isn't the same as reading print,
but at least the blind person can show the ability to take notes, phone
messages, etc.  In the computer industry, I've heard that it's a lot easier
to do programming with a Braille display, but I don't have one and I'm not a
programmer.