Dumb post to the Stargardts Facebook group

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 12:19:01 EDT 2013

Sorry, guys!  If I were fully blind, I would not make mistakes like sending
that email last night to the SpeakUp group.  I meant it to go to a friend
who's name started with S, and SpeakUp looks pretty close!  I hope it did
not offend anyone on the SpeakUp list.  The guys on the Stargardt Facebook
group could use some prodding to get them to go learn how to use programs
like SpeakUp, so now and then I make a post like that.  The funny thing is
I find that people like me with only central vision sometimes have worse
outcomes than people like most of you, who are fully blind.  You guys all
learned amazing talents like learning how to use Linux through SpeakUp.
When people have sight, and slowly lose some of it, the typical situation I
see is that they don't change or adapt much.  Instead of learning to listen
at high speed, they simply read less, and stop using computers much.  So, I
try on the Stargardt list now and then to motivate some of them to get off
their butts and change their lives to deal with vision loss, but unlike
becoming fully blind, it's possible to simply ignore central vision loss,
and never adapt.  I have one good friend who has chosen to remain on
permanent disability.  When I see blind guys working so hard to have
careers, it makes me very sad to see these people with Stargardts or
Macular Degeneration giving up.

Bill