Big problem after upgrading grub

Cheryl Homiak cahomiak at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 19:18:23 EDT 2009

Hi all.

On one of my computers, I mistakenly thought the new grub was working
okay and I ran the upgrade-from-legacy command. It's obvious I didn't
know what I was doing!!! At any rate, now the computer won't boot and
of course since I can't read the screen I have no idea what's going
on. To make things worse, it isn't set to boot from cdrom so I can't
just pop in a cd and try to use it; it's a thinkpad t23 laptop though
I don't think that makes much difference with this problem. what I
want to know is:  is there anything I can do to get a command prompt
of some kind and type something to get grub to try another device if
that's the problem or is there anything else I can do or am I going to
have to wait and see if somebody can help me try to set the cdrom to
boot; for some reason I've had problems doing this though I've had
other thinkpads and gotten them to reboot from cdrom.

I know this was all my own fault for running the upgrade command and
if I have to wait and try to get sighted help I'll of course do that,
but if anybody has any suggestion of something I can try on my own
I'll try just about anything. There is a floppy drive I can attach or
insert but I think that would be pretty complicated; it might be a
possibility though.

Tia.

--

Cheryl