clipboard integration -- possible security implications

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sat Oct 24 03:16:32 EDT 2009

Why?  What if I want the Speakup clipboard to go in a file on disk but I
don't want it in X?  If in X, why not open it in a text editor?  I agree
that the most convenient would be to copy it directly to the X
clipboard, but I can think of cases where one would want a permanent
copy in a file for use later.  Just one example might be in cases where
the machine needs to be rebooted (like a kernel upgrade) and a command
needs to be run after the reboot which was copied into the clipboard.
Another example is if I want to copy something within Speakup, logout
and access it via ssh.  That's why I like my idea of requiring users to
be in a special group.  I don't often change Speakup settings with ssh
but I do sometimes.  I think that in order for the Speakup clipboard to
automatically go to X, a separate utility would have to be written.  I'm
not a programmer and I have no idea how that would be done.