Database software

Chris Brannon cmbrannon79 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 10:19:12 EDT 2009

David Sexton wrote:
> Hi, I am looking for database software that will let me create,
> edit, and view mysql
> databases.
> Any out there that work especially well with speakup?

The good old mysql command-line client works beautifully.  In fact, every
Unix RDBMS that I've ever used has a command-line client.
They're fairly straightforward.

Edbrowse can also do some database operations, as long as your RDBMS supports
the ODBC interface.  MySQL does,
but I believe that the ODBC wrapper is packaged separately.
I haven't used the database functions of edbrowse too much, so I can't
give many details.

While we're on the subject of databases, you might also want to have a look
at PostgreSQL, the other popular free RDBMS.
I prefer it to MySQL for several reasons.  Please do investigate both, if
you haven't already done so.

-- Chris