speakup issues

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri May 29 06:46:18 EDT 2009

Hi,

I did notice an issue with the Trippletalk not reported here, but I
think it's unique to that synth.  Yes, there is definitely a delay when
using the keypad plus before speech starts, either with the Doubletalk
LT or Trippletalk.  If using the regular reading keys, there is no
delay.  I don't recall noticing that with my DEC Express but it's been
several months since I've used Speakup with that synthesizer.  In my
brief tests with software speech, I didn't notice this and actually
Speakup seemed far more responsive than usual.

The problem with the Trippletalk that I would like to report is a bad
case of stuttering, but only sometimes.  I think it's unique to that
synth because the Doubletalk LT didn't do it, but it can generally be
repeated by using keypad plus.  It used to happen sometimes in Windows
with the same synthesizer but not all the time.  Again, it only happens
when I read the entire screen and only sometimes.  I can't think of a
case where it can be consistently reproduced, but one thing that always
seems to do it is the word "file" near the top of the screen, such as
the "File" menu in many Windows apps or if the word shows up at the top
of the screen with Speakup.  It will stutter and repeat a few times
before reading the rest of the screen normally.

Michael, does the Jupiter screen reader support 2.6.29 kernels with
SMP?  If it supports recent kernels on the x86-64 arch and doesn't
require a custom kernel to be compiled, I would like to try it.  I had
no luck with yasr at all and the manual leaves much to be desired.  Is
it in Debian or where can it be downloaded?