software speech

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sat Aug 23 05:59:41 EDT 2008

Gregory Nowak wrote:
> The thing with cygwin though, is that you have to install a whole
> bunch of software, (I.E. in order to use ssh, you have to install the
> whole base system, you can't just install the ssh client). If this has
> changed since about 5 years ago, which is when I last played with
> cygwin, then it would be good to know that.

Hi,

No, that hasn't really changed, but why is that a problem?  The base
system is very small and only includes bash and a few dll files.  If you
really only want ssh, you can install it manually provided you know what
you're doing.  Even then, you need the base system, but again it's very
small.  I can send you a minimal ssh and telnet install that I use here
for emergencies.  All it consists of is ssh.exe, cygtel.exe, the SSL and
crypt libraries and the main cygwin1.dll.  I think that's about it.  I
renamed telnet.exe to cygtel.exe to not conflict with the Windows
telnet.  I also have a similar small install which includes rsync.
Besides, you can always delete the parts you don't want, as long as
there is only one cygwin1.dll file that the binaries will find when you
run them.  I should also add that Cygwin has had some fairly major
changes lately, so a new install would definitely be a good idea if you
want to check it out.  There is still no uninstall and it still
automatically writes to the registry.