slackware 12.1 questions

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Thu Aug 21 10:52:21 EDT 2008

I've just been using the install DVD, works fine and contains everything that I would
otherwise have to burn 4 cds to get.
On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:33:27AM -0400, Jude
DaShiell wrote:
> The issues with slackware 12.0 not prompting for replacement of disk1 and
> exploding when the /kernels/speakup.s directory cannot be found have been
> made far worse in slackware 12.1.  Earlier I wrote about a workaround for
> slackware 12.0 in which all packages that were checked starting with
> [f,k,t,x,y] needed to be unchecked and installed later no longer works in
> slackware 12.1.  You do get down to where the kernel copy is supposed to
> happen but slackware 12.1 now errors out at that point and does not copy
> any kernel automagically.  If an upgrade path is possible and anyone doing
> this will need to take the exclude off of kernel* because slackware has
> recompiled all kernels for slackware 12.1 including speakup.s and put all
> of the security fixes into them that were current at the date of this
> kernel's release.  The last time such a recompile was done was with
> Slackware 7.0 at least by the people over at slackware.com.  Understand
> this bad experience has happened multiple times over here and on every
> occassion I had a talking install since I did include the proper speakup
> parameters to make it happen for this synthesizer.  What happens after the
> kernel fails to install is that it's also impossible to install lilo since
> lilo needs as a prerequisite to have that kernel on that hard drive living
> happily.

There are two types of Linux developers - those who can spell, and
those who can't.  There is a constant pitched battle between the two.
	-- From one of the post-1.1.54 kernel update messages posted to c.o.l.a