accessing pdf documents with speakup

luke speakup at lists.tacticus.com
Fri Aug 15 19:58:38 EDT 2008

The best way I have found, is the "pdftotext" program, from the XPDF
package.

It has the advantage of different presentation styles: if the document
does not look good while viewing in in the default format, you can try
with the "-layout" or "-raw" option, to try a different style of display.

Execution example:

pdftotext -layout file.pdf - | fmt | less

or just:

pdftotext file.pdf - | fmt | less

(Note: "fmt" wrapps the lines, which will otherwise break strangely)

That is not the only way to run it, but it is the form I usually use.

Regards,

Luke