installing speakup on stock kernel

Christopher Moore christopher.h.moore at verizon.net
Thu Aug 14 11:58:09 EDT 2008

Hello guys,
I'm running ubuntu hardy with a stock kernel (2.6.24-17).
In the "old days" I would need to compile a custom kernel in order to
run speakup.
Now, as I understand it, speakup can be built as modules which may mean
that I could build it without applying kernel patches and compiling a
kernel.

So my question is what would I need to do to build speakup modules to
run with a 2.6.24 stock kernel?  If there are any docs, I'd be happy to
read them; but the info on the speakup website appeared to apply to the
days when kernel patching and custom kernels were the only game in town.

Thanks
Chris