How do you install Speakup for Ubuntu?

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Sun Oct 28 06:47:50 EDT 2007

try http://www.linux-speakup.org/

If you want to try Ubuntu the livecd will not kill your computer; grab the
desktop cd,
boot it;
hit control f2 then key in orca.
You'll know it's booted when things quieten down.
Not sure how easy speakup would patch into the newer 2.6.22 kernels that
modern distributions are using; I haven't tried yet.
If you have 2 computers; consider connecting them together with a null-modem
cable and use a serial console. This will allow you to install Redhat,
Debian or Ubuntu yourself then tinker to get software speech functional.
Most electronics stores will sell you a Null modem cable for aprox $10
(Australian) and if your laptop or whatever has no serial ports you can get
a USB to serial adapter to plug serial gear in.
To install Ubuntu do:
Boot the cd, press escape then enter.
escape kills the gui splash screen, ok confirms you want to kill it.
Then type
install console=ttyS0,38400

If you only have one computer but have vmware server; it is possible to
install Linux into a virtual machine yourself with 2 usb to serial adapters
and a null modem cable; or 1 dual port usb-to-serial adapter, I can outline
the process if anyone is interested.
I hear it is possible to install Ubuntu with Orca and the talking installer;
never tried it. I've personally had as much success with Orca as I have had
with Narrator, however I haven't tried extremely hard either.

Regards, Kerry.