debian packages

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Mon Oct 8 12:55:01 EDT 2007

I figured installing a desktop environment using tasksel and installing
orca with all dependencies should work with debian.  Wrong.  When I
rebooted the system, I find that the desktop environment won't come up
because /etc/X11/xorg.conf isn't fully and correctly built.  The debian
way to solve this problem is to do dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and
answer the questions.  Unfortunately dpkg-reconfigure runs a utility
called dexconf and that utility will not rewrite the /etc/X11/xorg.conf
file under any circumstances I've been able to figure out.  I sent a copy
of a typescript output 14K long to a friend and also debian-user mailing
list and nobody so far has a clue why what's happening is happening.
Another contact I have may be willing to check this one out and put in
some good values for me but if that fails it's time to enter some bugs.
Short of that, I may be able to install ubuntu on this computer and get it
talking then copy the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file ubuntu creates and perhaps
use it in the debian system.