slackware and accessibility packages

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Fri Oct 5 13:29:53 EDT 2007

Hello,
To further discuss what I am thinking regarding this.

Yes the comment about documentation is a good one, and I probably will
try and create some howtos for the packages I build (eg. speakup with
software speech on slackware howto, would discuss what packages you
would need, and what you might want to configure afterwards, such as
changing the synth speech-dispatcher uses, etc).

The packages I mentioned were just a start, of course there will be more
such as speechd-up, flite (possibly), gnome-java-access-bridge, etc.
What ever there may be a call for.

At the moment I don't have the knowledge to make a custom distro, so
that is partly the reason I am saying that unless there is something too
specific to expect to be in a main distro, the project will not try and
do that. Yes software speech for an install would be nice, but I don't
think other distros (ubuntu and grml) have sorted the sound issue fully
yet (unmuting the sound card, and for users to have a convenient way to
choose a card in a multi-sound-card system), so it may have to be a
longer term thought for that as learning to create the custom distro
probably is enough without having those extra issues to contend with.

I did find some interesting issues when trying to create the SlackBuild
for speech-dispatcher (related to the python bindings), but that I think
is a bit off topic for here, other than to say I have succeeded at
creating a SlackBuild script and package for speech-dispatcher.

Now the question remains, where to have this project hosted, I was
considering sourceforge, any better suggestions?

From
Michael Whapples