question about mp3 files, and screen readers

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Tue Feb 6 02:32:59 EST 2007

Yes, mplayer supports many different codecs, its even can
play windows formats. Download page is here:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

I usually install the binary codecs first then build it from
source but I see fedora rpms there also. You need to
install the binary codecs first then install the program.
Mplayer is actually a movie player, it can play all sorts
of audio formats:

MPEG layer 1, 2, and 3 (MP3) audio
AC3/A52 (Dolby Digital) audio (software or SP/DIF)
AAC (MPEG-4 audio)
WMA (DivX Audio) v1, v2
WMA 9 (WMAv3), Voxware audio, ACELP.net etc (using x86 DLLs)
RealAudio: COOK, SIPRO, ATRAC3 (using Real libraries)
RealAudio: DNET and older codecs
QuickTime: Qclp, Q-Design QDMC/QDM2, MACE 3/6 (using QT libraries), ALAC
Ogg Vorbis audio
VIVO audio (g723, Vivo Siren) (using x86 DLL)
alaw/ulaw, (ms)gsm, pcm, *adpcm and other simple old audio formats

All of those plus a bunch of video formats also!
See the supported list here
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/info.html

  -- Doug