Speakup's future

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Sun Dec 30 06:05:36 EST 2007

I think what is happening here is that there are plenty of users and not
enough coders.
If more people were working on speakup than Kirk and a few friends then it
would develop faster.
Unfortunately 100 or 200 users asking what the deal is won't cause any
development.
People are usually motivated by money or desire or whatever; so perhaps
getting more programmers to work on speakup by taking donations from users
would help the cause.
The kernel folks aren't that interested in speakup; they have other
priorities and there just aren't programmers working on the code to keep
pace with the kernels.

Keep in mind that all comercial screen readers develop faster because they
have paid programmers.

nvda thunder gnopernicus and the like are all developing slowly due to a
lack of fulltime paid programming tallent.

Perhaps with this new wave of ultra-mobile pcs such as the Asus eeepc and
the like; more people will work on speakup in order that we may have access
to this platform.

Sadly; free software is used by a lot of people but only developed by a few.

Regards, Kerry.