debian 4.0 hard drive problem

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Sat Dec 29 18:09:03 EST 2007

There is probably an automounter running or something trying to mount a
cdrom?
Is your cdrom perhaps slaved to the hard drive in that machine?
the other possibility is that your hard drive is jumpered either as slave,
or that you have it set as cable select on the middle of the cable.
If using cable select the master drive goes at the end of the cable; and a
single drive on a cable should be jumpered as master, *not* slave.
This goes for cdroms too.

Those ide errors mean the drive is not responding when the kernel thinks it
should; and will eventually cause problems.
There are windows systems that have a single slave drive in them or one
mapped as cable select on the middle of the cable and they do work to a
fashion;
but best to configure the hardware correctly.

Regards, Kerry.