email sending problems debian 4.0

lists at barrettpianos.co.uk lists at barrettpianos.co.uk
Fri Dec 28 07:03:22 EST 2007

All,

Would appreciate some advice as I am having problems sending e-
mail with debian 4.0.

The current position is that I can collect mail from my isp and read
it with mutt.  I am using fetchmail to collect from the isp.

I need to use the smtp server at the isp to send mail
(relay.plus.net).

I have googled but most of what I can find appears a bit daunting
for an absolute beginner.

My questions are, would exim or sendmail be the better choice?
Am I right in assuming that exim would be used to receive mail as
well.  Would sendmail be more simple?

Would appreciate it if someone could point me to some
documentation to explain all this?

Thanks

Keith