sending email with debian

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Thu Dec 27 13:18:09 EST 2007

set up exim4;
apt-get install exim4
tell it you have a smarthost, set the smarthost to your upstream isp mail
server.
Most boxes drop mail from ip addresses that are considered
residential/adsl/cable/dialup so best to relay through a smarthost.
There are also paid services for this if you can't get your isp's mail
server to accept your mail.
dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config
will re-ask you _all_ the questions rather than the usual ones you get when
your priority is set to high.
dpkg-reconfigure debconf
will allow you to change interface to readline, (easier to use in my
opinion)
and set priority to medium.
Regards, Kerry.