getting started with linux

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Aug 29 18:08:11 EDT 2007

Most distros (fedora, debian, etc) will configure your sound card when you
install  linux.  In fact, if you swap out the sound card, sound should be
automatically be reconfigured. If it doesn't work, get back to us and we'll
help you.

The answer to your second question depends on which distro you are using. If
you are using debian or grml, you can use the simple instructions on my web
site for setting up software speech. See:
http://www.math.wisc.edu/~jheim/debian/#sftsynth

There are  more complete instructions here:
http://www.freebsoft.org/doc/speechd-up/speechd-up_1.html

The second page explains how to download and compile speechd-up. But I have
created  a debian deb file that you can use if you have installed debian.
That makes it a lot easier to get software speech working.