Back in the linux world again

Katie Durden katielicious66 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 03:01:36 EDT 2007

yes....as I don't own a hardware synth, this is exactly how I installed
slackware 12.0

the important file to start with is
on the linux install disk, slackware/a/pkgtools-12.0.0-noarch-4.tgz
assuming you're using slackware 12...

in that package is a /sbin/installpkg script you need

set up your partitions, mount the one you want to use as / somewhere,
and run that script with the following options:
installpkg -root <path to /} <path to tgz file in a directory>*.tgz

so for example, assuming you have mounded your / partition
on /mnt/slackware, and have the slackware disk mounted at /mnt/cdrom,

installpkg -root /mnt/slackware /mnt/cdrom/slackware/a/*.tgz

since you're running this from another distro it might give you a few
errors because things aren't where slackware expects them, that's ok
because you're going to do it again...

once those all finish, mount bind proc into the new root,

mount -o bind /proc /mnt/slackware/proc

and also the slackware install disk

mount -o bind /mnt/cdrom /mnt/slackware/mnt/cdrom

then chroot into the new root

chroot /mnt/slackware /bin/bash

cd /mnt/cdrom/slakware/a

installpkg *.tgz

when that finishes cd .. and repeat the process with all the package
series folders you want.
You can skip k, kde and kdei. k is just kernel source and if you plan on
making your own kernel you can still skip because its 2.6.21.5, might as
well get 2.6.21.6...
so from within a/ ap/ d/ e/ f/ / n/ t/ tcl/ x/ xap/ and y/ run
installpkg *.tgz

you'll also have to put your chosen kernel in place, configure lilo, set
a root password, and copy your timezone from /usr/share/zoneinfo
to /etc/localtime.
Oh and of course configure your fstab...can't forget to do that...

that's the basic slackware install...as far as getting a speakup-patched
kernel if you don't use the one on slackware's disk, a software synth,
and all that working that's pretty much the same as any other time you
set that stuff up so i won't repeat how to do them...

I think that's everything....

Katie