Speakup & Ubuntu & PDAs

MICHAEL MCDONALD MMCDONALD at aph.org
Fri Aug 17 07:49:30 EDT 2007

It has been a while since I patched the levelstar kernel, but I think I just had to add a few lines for the missing serial port defines that would be missing from an ARM kernel.

If you go into speakup-drvcommon.c, you can add the following lines:

#define STD_COM_FLAGS (ASYNC_BOOT_AUTOCONF | ASYNC_SKIP_TEST)

#define SERIAL_PORT_DFNS                                                                 \
        { 0, BASE_BAUD, 0x3F8, 10, STD_COM_FLAGS }, /* ttyS0 */      \
        { 0, BASE_BAUD, 0x2F8, 10, STD_COM_FLAGS }, /* ttyS1 */

I can't remember if this is the only change I had to make, but I think it was.  Of course, this won't work on the new Kernels, so you would have to use an older kernel to get it to work.

Mike

>>> doug at proficio.ca 08/17/07 05:12AM >>>
The manual for Levelstar Icon states "The console option lets
you use the Linux command prompt and any Linux programs
you have compiled for the unit. The console uses the Speakup
screen reader, and all of its commands are supported."

http://www.aph.org/tech/pda_doc.htm

So they have it working, but I'm pretty sure you can't just
grab the stock speakup and apply the patches to an ARM
kernel and expect it to work without some modifications.

  -- Doug