Heidelberg Installation Questions

Hynek Hanke hanke at brailcom.org
Sat Feb 18 07:55:40 EST 2006

Gary píše v Pá 17. 02. 2006 v 22:24 -0500:
> So, I ordered the four installation cd's and am ready to begin.  Except it
> seems like there is nowhere where all the instructions are put in the
> proper order.

See documentation for SpeechD-Up. It covers the part of installation
of Speech Dispatcher, SpeechD-Up and Festival. Of course it only gives
the way, not the details which can be found in the appropriate manuals
for each of the tools.

> The installation instructions implied that I would be installing it myself
> using a hardware synth, but I prefer to use a software synth and will have sighted
> assistance.

It is possible to install Debian relying on a software synthesizer,
starting from a live CD (such as
http://www.freebsoft.org/freebsoft-cdrom ). I don't know about Fedora.

> Also, I thought I read that SpeakUp and a software synth could be started
> automatically, except after login (which is fine).  Is this true?

They can be started well before login, as soon as user-space
applications can be started during the boot-up process. I have it
running this way on my machine.

Have a nice day,
Hynek