DNS problem!

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sun Feb 12 21:00:42 EST 2006

The line in your /etc/hosts should look like:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Since you're on dial-up, you're probably not using dyndns.org, in
which case, that line should be just as I typed it above, there
shouldn't be mention of anything other then localhost there.

The file you want to look at when dealing with dns is
/etc/resolv.conf. However, don't mess with /etc/resolv.conf until
you've fixed your /etc/hosts, and determined that your problem still
isn't solved.

Briefly, the syntax of /etc/resolv.conf is something like:

search domain.com
nameserver 111.222.333.444
nameserver 555.666.777.888

Where domain.com is the domain name of your dial-up ISP, and the
nameserver lines contain the IP address(es) of your ISP's name
servers.

For more on resolv.conf, try the resolv.conf man page, which actually
seems to point to resolver(5) on my system.

Greg