Partition Signature != 55aa

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sat Feb 11 22:52:55 EST 2006

I haven't used software raid for a while, and when I did, it was under
the 2.4.x series of kernels. However, having said that, note that back
when I used software raid, any partitions which were a part of a raid
device had to be set to signature "FD", autodetect.

My second observation is that you seem to have 2 raid devices, one for
boot, and one for root. Under 2.4 kernels, this wouldn't work, since
the boot partition has to be on an actual partition, not on a raid
device.

I've also had a look through the partition types that cfdisk supports,
and I don't see "55AA" as being one of them, so I don't know what kind
of a partition that is, though a google search would probably answer
that question.

Again, keep in mind that things have probably changed in newer
versions of the raid tools, and in the 2.6.x kernels, so what I've
just mentioned here may, or may not still be accurate, so you get to
keep the pieces if you follow what I've just said, and it screws
things up even more. Good luck and hth.

Greg