debian installation

Terry D. Cudney terry.cudney at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 17:05:41 EST 2006

Hello Chuck and everyone on the list,

	The gocr and a couple of other packages for ocr under linux are not very accurate.

	However, there is a very good package from Vividata for ocr under linux. If you are interested, the info and software are available on:

	ftp.linux-speakup.org/pub/linux/goodies/

	in two files called xtrclilite*.

	This is a commercial package from Vividata. They have very kindly provided a few of us in the speakup community license keys at  no charge while they are determining a method a fair pricing for blind users.

	You will need the sane package installed and working with your scanner. Check out the package on linux-speakup.org.  If you are interested in this ocr software, please contact me and I will see if Vividata will still provide license keys for us.

	--terry