Any alternate download sites for speakup ftp?

Al Puzzuoli alpuzz at comcast.net
Thu Feb 24 20:18:13 EST 2005

Hi john,

The confusion comes in here because  when companies offer speed clames, they
do so measured in kBytes, and when  downloading  a program, your speed is
typically displayed in kbits.  I'm no expert but the way I understand it is
as follows:
You can roughly ascertain the rate of speed you would  obtain from the
advertised KByte number by dividing by 8.  So for example, if your service
advertises 768 KByte up, you divide that by 8 and get 96.  This means that
in an ideal scenario, if there were no overhead packets and your connection
were perfect, you would get 96 kbits per second.  However if you account for
real world factors and overhead,you need to subtract a bit more from 96,
hense putting you right about at where you are, 70.  I don't know if there
are better formuli out there to account for the overhead.

Things become even more confusing because  when heard with speech, bothKb
and kb sound exactly the same.

Hope this makes some sense.

--Al