(no subject)

Toby Fisher toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Wed Feb 16 20:19:36 EST 2005

From: "Luke Yelavich" <themuso at themuso.com>
To: "Speakup is a screen review system for Linux." <speakup at braille.uwo.ca>
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 12:55 AM
Subject: Re: (no subject)

> On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 08:59:00AM EST, Marvin Hunkin wrote:
>> speakup for linux    Hi.
>> why can't i use software speech to install it?
>
> As far as I know, nobody has created an install CD with software speech
> for the installer. Somebody could be working on it though, and if they
> are, it would be nice of them to speak up about it please.

The major problem here is that in order for software speech to work, it is
necessary to have working sound drivers.  To put all the sound modules onto
a livecd would not be an efficient use of space, and your ability to use
Speakup would be reliant on the livecd kernel detecting your sound card, and
it all working.  This rarely happens out of the box, so unfortunately I
can't see it happening for some time.

Hth

Toby