Compile Errors

Trevor Astrope astrope at tabbweb.com
Fri Feb 11 14:08:41 EST 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Luke Yelavich wrote:
> That version of speakup si too old for that kernel version. You will
> have to find a patch of a recent version of speakup to use.

Thanks Luke.

I got the Dec 28 version of speakup from cvs (thanks Kirk!), but I'm still
getting the same error with the rhel 2.4.21 kernel. All works fine with a
stock 2.4.21 kernel, of course, but not with the rhel kernel.

I'm not tied to the rhel kernel for any third party driver support and I
don't need a rhel certified kernel. But I do need the rhel distribution
for work to test and build new packages for rhel systems.

I would like to build a kernel rpm to use to make my own modified speakup
rhel distro. Worst case I could do a kickstart install and install my own
kernel, but I'd really like to be able to patch the rhel kernel, if for
nothing else than the shear satisfaction after investing this much time
into it already. <grin>

Anyway, the 2 lines in speakup.c that are giving the errr are the
start_timer function. They are defined in spk_priv.h as:

#define start_timer( name ) if ( ! name.entry.prev ) add_timer ( & name )

I don't know why gcc is complaining that the structure has no name `list'.

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Trevor