Speakup Install on Redhat Enterprise Linux

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Feb 8 13:52:59 EST 2005

Dear Beth:

Bill does the Speakup Modified as a community volunteer. Nobody, most
certainly not Red Hat, pays him one penny for it. So, you should direct
your annoyance at Red Hat.

It would require a special build of the Enterprise installer to speech
enable an installation. However, if you can get it installed, you could
certainly run a Speakup Modified kernel in that environment.

However, wouldn't that break your tight certification requirement? Bill
can't fix that. Only RH can. So, you might want to get some clarity
with your school about this requirement. It strikes me it's rather
artificial. For example, why not run a standard Speakup Modified linux
machine and simply ssh into a RH Enterprise machine for your coursework?
That seems much more logical to me. I can't imagine what complaint a
professor should have about that.