Internet Broadcasting

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Oct 28 10:06:19 EDT 2004

Luke Yelavich writes:
> > Does anyone here use gstreamer from the cli? Did you know you can? I
> > just learned that the other day.
>
> You learn something new every day. I must check it out. :)

I didn't mean to be mysterious, so I'll share exactly what I have. This
came up in the context of our FSG Accessibility Workgroup's desire to
stream our January conference on the net using Fluendo, the Vorbis
video/audio lib theora streamer. Here's the salient part of the email I
got from Fluendo's maintainer:

From: Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <christian at fluendo.com>

Hi Janina,
Sorry for the late reply. The first version of the server is now
available on the Fluendo website.

As for a shell script for playing back the stream with GStreamer
something containing something like this should work:
gst-launch gnomevfssrc location=http://mirror.fluendo.com:8800 !
decodebin ! alsasink

Using osssink instead of alsasink might be an advantage since it is more
broadly deployed. There is also a sunaudiosink for Solaris users.

The http address of course you replace with your own.

As for mplayer you just run: mplayer http://mirror.fluendo.com:8000 and
it should work. People just need to make sure they have a new Theora
enabled mplayer installed.

				Janina