Links the chain

Richard Wells richwels at bupster.cjb.net
Fri Oct 15 08:19:51 EDT 2004

Hi Janina,

Where do you put these strings?

Thanks
----- Original Message -----
From: "Janina Sajka" <janina at rednote.net>
To: "Speakup is a screen review system for Linux." <speakup at braille.uwo.ca>
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 4:57 PM
Subject: Re: Links the chain

Did your bank let you in? Or did it complain that you're using an old
browser and offer to help you download something more modern?

I ask, because this frequently comes up with banks. It's the mis-use of
http headers that has been the subject today. What you can do is to tell
a little lie--though we call it masquerading. You "Masquerade" as IE
with a string like one of the following 3:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705;
.NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; Q312461)

Each of these three examples ould go on one line, of course.

LARRY SKUTCHAN writes:
> Thanks, yes all this helps very much.  When I saw that Links the chain
> supported Java script, I tried it, and no go.  But, when I downloaded the
> latest version, I found that it did, although it still did not get me onto
> my banking site properly.  I will have to play with that a little more.
>
> They both seem to be very slick and responsive programs.

> On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 11:56:34PM EST, Janina Sajka wrote:
> > Perhaps someone who's used the chain more than I have can expostulate on
> > some of the subtelties. But my bottom line is that the chain's
> > developers have done a pretty good job of adding the kind of blind
> > friendly functionality that has proven so valuable.
>
> There are a few differences indeed. For a start, links the chain has a
> menu-like system for controlling options etc, which appear in dialog
> boxes. However, this interface is simplified a lot if one turns on the
> Braille Terminal mode from the terminal options in the settings menu.
> For those who want to know how to turn it on, load links, press ALT + S,
> then T. Press the up arrow 3 times, and press the space bar to check the
> option. Then simply press enter. Don't forget to save your options by
> pressing ALT + S, then S.
>
> Links the chain supports both frames and tables, although I personally
> have these turned off, since I am used to reading pages in a linear
> fashion, although this doesn't always help with data tables, but since I
> don't really have to read any of these, there is no big deal.
>
> Links the chain supports JavaScript. Note that JavaScript is very much
> different to Java, which is in fact not supported by ANY text browser at
> all. This is helpful for some dynamic content sites that implement the
> use of JavaScript a lot, however I have found a few bugs in the links
> JavaScript code. :)
>
> Links the chain does not have very good cookie support however. This is
> where I need to use lynx the cat for such sites.
>
> I hope all this helps
>
> Luke

Janina Sajka, Chair
Accessibility Workgroup