speakup install software speech

Jason Custer trekiejc at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 10 07:05:00 EDT 2004

Hello,
I would like to install linux on my laptop. I would like to use speakup and
gnopernicus.
I must use software speech because I don't want to drag a hardware synth
around everywhere.
How can this be accomplished? Do I install via telnet?
is there a boot cdrom with software speech that can get me started?
I was thinking about installing fidora, but it seems extreamly large (2 to 5
gb). Is that the case or is it just me?
I know this is a lot to answer over email, so links to tutorials or
documentation would be just as useful.
This seems like a common problem, and if one doesn't already exist, I will
write a howto when I figure out what I am doing.
Thanks in advance.
Jason