high memory reconciled with alsa drivers

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Sat Oct 9 20:26:37 EDT 2004

Well, I got it fixed. It turns out that Kenny and David were right, the
alsa components do NOT get recompiled when my 2.4.26 kernel is
recompiled, and that is what was necessary. What I did was throw away
the Slackware attempt to integrate alsa into the kernel, and revert to
the "separate but equal" strategy of first recompiling the kernel, then
booting into the new system, and only then compiling and installing the
alsa modules and libraries. One more reboot and and now the new alsa
drivers work fine in the presence of 1280 MB of ram recognized by the
2.4.26 kernel.

Hooray for our side! Thanks, guys.

Chuck

Home page at http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh