high memory versus alsa drivers

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Sat Oct 9 11:16:17 EDT 2004

Hi Igor,

Without highmem selected, /proc/meminfo tells me I have a total of
904276 KB of ram, and I get this message in my boot up log:

Warning only 896MB will be used.
Use a HIGHMEM enabled kernel.
896MB LOWMEM available.

With highmem selected, I show the full 1280 MB and do not get that
warning, but the alsa drivers produce only squeals and squawks.

Chuck

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, Igor Gueths wrote:

> Hi there. Not sure how much help I'm going to be, since I'm running 2.6.6 (however using memory management, since I have 1GB in this machine). How much memory is in use when you end up loading
> the Alsa drivers? Reason I ask is bc if you only are using about 300MB at the time, there's no real reason that I can think of as to why highmem would be used.

Home page at http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh
Speakfreely address 24.105.197.112:2074