Kernel 2.6.8.1, Speakup and softsynth module, unresolved symbols, still.

Luke Yelavich themuso at themuso.com
Mon Oct 4 20:28:47 EDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 03:24:58PM EST, Luke Yelavich wrote:
> Hi
> I think I have mentioned this a couple of times before. I still get unresolved
> symbols with the softsynth module and Speakup. This is with latest speakup
> CVS. Here is the output.
>
> Speakup v-2.00 CVS: Sun Aug 29 23:46:14 EDT 2004 : initialized
> Speakup:  loading module "speakup_sftsyn"
> speakup_sftsyn: Unknown symbol synth_buff_in
> speakup_sftsyn: Unknown symbol synth_add
> speakup_sftsyn: Unknown symbol synth
> speakup_sftsyn: Unknown symbol synth_buff_out
> speakup_sftsyn: Unknown symbol synth_release
> speakup_sftsyn: Unknown symbol do_synth_init
> speakup_sftsyn: Unknown symbol synth_write
> speakup_sftsyn: Unknown symbol synth_alive
> speakup_sftsyn: Unknown symbol synth_remove
> speakup_sftsyn: Unknown symbol synth_done
> initialized device: /dev/synth, node ( MAJOR 10, MINOR 25 )
>
> The softsynth module is my default Speakup module. All the speakup code is
> compiled as modules.

Ok, after playing around a little more, turns out that this seems to happen
only when sftsyn is the default speakup module stated at compile time. What I
had to do, was specify no module at kernel compile time, and load the main
speakup module. Then echoed sftsyn to /proc/speakup/synth_name, and loaded
speech-dispatcher and speechd_up, and all worked well.

Hope this helps anybody who has had the same problem I have.

Luke