a bit of trivia I found interesting

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Dec 21 15:57:18 EST 2002

Well, and I think he was fully aware of the price he was paying. I would
be surprised if he wasn't.

Very strange, but not unprecedented. Some people have such profound
dedication to the cause they hold dear that they really will put their
lives on the line. Of course, soldiers do that, as do police and fire
fighters. Here we have it in science.

I believe Madam Currie is another example. I'm not sure that it was a
consequence she was aware of, however, as radium was the thing she
discovered.