Reading Volume Labels?

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon Dec 9 14:54:30 EST 2002

I think someone may have asked this before on this list but I never
saw an answer so I am asking the same question.  Is it possible to
read the volume label of a removable volume like a CDROM under linux.
When burning CD ISO images, I am given the opportunity to enter a
volume label.  It is immediately available under winblows exploder but
I haven't seen a way to do likewise at the linux shell prompt.  It
sure would be a handy way to quickly identify the contents of a CD.

Any ideas?