Copying subdirectories into another directory

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Dec 7 20:41:49 EST 2002

OK, I'll try, but you could have been less wordy, and that may have made
you more informative of your needs.

Do I take it that you have a directory /usr/src/linux-2.4.20 that you
wish to copy, including all its subdirectories, to
/usr/src/linux-2.4.20sp?  Simple.
mkdir /usr/src/linux-2.4.20sp
cp -a /usr/src/linux-2.4.20/* /usr/src/linux/2.4.20sp

Adjust appropriately for pwd if you like, of course. But specifying the
full path certainly doesn't break anything.

PS: The proper term describing the relationship between these two
directories is "sibling. directories." Each of them is a child of the
same parent, in other words. And, yes, those are computer terms.

PPS: If you're going to compile a separate kernel under 2.4.20sp, be
sure to edit the Makefile and supply sp in the ExtraVersion field (which
is near the top). Also, if sp stands for speakup, be sure to create a
symbolic link called linux before running the checkout script:

ln -sf /usr/src/linux-2.4.20sp /usr/src/linux